Wednesday 11 February 2015

Book Review: The Accidental Duchess by Madeline Hunter

18143082


It's been a while since I read a historical romance. Some may even wonder why I do read this genre, given I tend to write horror. Well, dear friends, sometimes we need  a break from what we write, and read something that is relaxing, fun and whimsical.

Now that may sound boring and trite, but the figures don't lie - sales of romance books are through the roof!

Madeline Hunter is a best selling author and this was my first read of hers. I have to say I started it in 2014, so actually this has been a slow read for me. I cannot blame the book entirely, as I have been writing and editing works of my own, as well as reading other books from other genres.

So where does The Accidental Duchess stack up?

First thing to know is that is it NOT first in its series, and maybe that's where I encountered a problem. It does seem like there were things going on that, had I read the first three books in the Fairbourne Quartet, I would know more what is going on here.

The basic story is that our heroine, the Lady Lydia Alfreton is blackmailed by a rather odious man. It's over the contents of a story she wrote when she was a young girl, and the rather horrid Duke of Penthurst is going to make her worry to the end of her days - unless of course, she agrees to his terms of a wager. Naturally, they are weighted in his favour, and Lydia, though a confident young woman who believes she will beat him, has her arm twisted several times during the story.

You can't help but feel for her.

Having said that, I found the terms of the wager ridiculous. It seems far too high a price for Lydia to pay. Even the threat of it coming to pass was rather scary for me. If I were in her position, I would run, and keep running.

However, inkeeping with the genre, there has to be some resolution with the heroine and hero. I use the term 'hero' loosely, as the men in these stories are sometimes super alpha males, or just arrogant so-and-so's that I seriously want to punch.

Fortunately, Lydia is feisty, brave, and daring. She also does some things that make me think I am glad not to be pursuing her. I think the story suffers in the middle, but picks up brilliantly before the end.

This won't be my last MH book. I already have another I am over due to read. But I'll be switching genres again for my next read. 

Overall, I think this would get a higher rating from me if I read the other books in the series. But Madeline Hunter structures her story well, draws her characters and makes them breathe for the reader. She seems to create engaging plots, and it is not hard to see why she is the successful writer she is.

Recommended.



No comments:

Post a Comment