Thursday 16 July 2015

Book Review: Newborn Nazi by Rhoda D'Ettore

23165506

There's a number of reviews here and as I scan through them, I am not sure what I can add.

What I can say for my own part is that Newborn Nazi starts with and continues for many of its pages at a blistering pace. This is a remarkable feat given the rather dry and unsettling nature of the SS.

It is a very dark tale, but told with great style and panache. The author, Rhoda D'Ettore, is an exceptional story teller.

The book has a little 'middle of the story' lag but maybe this is welcome.

After a particularly delicious build up between Hedwig and Johann, I still could not predict what was coming. After the event, I was unsure where the story would go.

But herein lies the author's talent. Through a myriad of excellent main and support characters, the author weaves a multi-layered and intelligent story.

At times, the dialogue is a little too much, but given the length of the story, blocks of heavy narration may have been off putting, so I congratulate the author for making a motley crew so engaging to read.

The ending is interesting, not what I expected, and very well done.

If you want a story that takes you away from a YA story filled with werewolves and mermaids, go for this very unique tale.

I loved it and think you will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment