Tuesday 15 October 2013

Book Review #6: Waterfall by Lisa T Bergren



You can't beat a great fantasy, and this series has all the makings of one. Our heroine, Gabi, is a real firebrand and yet you don't get the sense of the epicness of the story until you are some pages in.

When the story opens, we learn that Gabi's father was a much respected archeologist had died, but her mother continued with his work regardless, bringing both Gabi and her sister Lia along for the ride.

I like that the story starts with its base in Italy, a country I had the good fortune to visit in 2010. I loved the energy from the outset, with 5:00am starts being the norm for the two sisters to go out on digs with their mother.

As I was reading, I couldn't help but think of Indiana Jones or Lara Croft. That's no bad thing. I spent many enjoyable hours watching Raiders of the Lost Ark, and playing Tomb Raider for hours on end.

The great descriptions Miss Bergren uses dropped me straight over the shoulder of the trio when at an important site, and there's loads of those in a super old country like Italy.

So I felt immediately drawn in.

There is a huge MacGuffin at the start of the story and it's so big, I couldn't let on here, you'll just have to read it.

But suffice to say that Gabi's first encounter with Italy's past comes to face her, head on, literally.

We find ourselves back in time with Gabi seeing and experiencing at first hand how the ruins used to look, before they were actually ruins.

At this point I wondered where the story was going.

That's when I was happiest. This YA aimed book doesn't foist some hack handed dystopian world on you. Whilst that's no bad thing, there's been rather too much of it in YA for a while, so this acted like a breath of fresh air with its detailed historical perspective on things.

This is where the book is at its strongest, so I forgive certain things like that Gabi fights with much apparent ease. She is skilled in fencing, but that wouldn't necessarily translate to being a great swordfighter, much like practising Tai Chi forms wouldn't make you a super skilled martial artist that was ready for battle.

That wouldn't be so plausible, and yet, the story is told which such style and verve, it just carries you along.

I'm being picky of course. James Bond has had many situations where he could have been killed, but you buy it because it is 007 ! So whilst Waterfall has its flaws, I think it is leading to a much bigger story with scope I cannot yet imagine, and it is that which will make me read others in the Rivers of Time series.

Fun, fearless, cool, and different. My favourite fantasy book of 2013.

1 comment:

  1. What a great review :) I love the cover and I enjoyed your take on the story! I am glad the 'good' makes up for the 'bad'. It always make the book worth a shot.

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete