Tuesday 8 October 2013

Making Your Book Great: The Importance of Editorial Evaluation

With my first book coming out in 2011, I was hesitating to go through the delays of editorial evaluation. I mean, this would mean further hold-ups to the release of the book, and why would I want to do that?

But wait a second.

Then another.

You must, because when it's your first book coming out, you are so excited, you want the world to know about it, but you must step back and realise just how big - or small, that world actually is.

There's another issue. Once that book is out there, you feel a bit 'flat'. After all, this book has consumed a lot of your time, coffee, sleepless nights, and with any free time you might have, it's taken up with thoughts about the book. Or the next book after that.

Margaret Mitchell, author of Gone With The Wind authored one book and one book only. Gone With The Wind is a very famous book and film. I also had the pleasure of visiting her old home on a visit to the United States.

Who knows if she had any other books planned?

In some ways I am envious of authors who make their living from writing, but also from other things they do.

The editing of a book like Gone With The Wind would have been some undertaking. But whether it is a classic like that, or your own book, do pause and get the proper editorial evaluation done.

It's quite possible you won't like what they say, at least, at first.

But you will come to realise that they do know what they're talking about, and you can work the advice given into your book - regardless of the subject.

The two books I have completed so far, The Essence of Martial Arts, and also, Dark Winter, have both received editorial critique.

In the first book, I intimately know the subject matter, so what I needed from Editorial was a way in which it could just 'frame' the book better, and indeed the text was much better for it. Still not perfect, mind.

For the second book, which is basically 'a project' because I've never published a full length novel before, I needed Editorial to bash me over the head. Oh - I didn't like their critique at first. I thought they had bulldozed through what I'd written. But who am I, in the literary world? No-one! So I thought 'you have to get over yourself' and listen to these people.

Of course, I would listen in the end. And again, the book is far better for having professional critique.

So, although it may seem too obvious, do take the time to get your book edited. It may not be perfect, it may not win you more fans, it may not make you any money.

But your book will be better should you heed their advice.

Make your book great, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment